Friday, March 5, 2010

The Backseat Goobye: I Am You, You Are Me

This song will ALWAYS remind me of a certain girl who stole a huge chunk of whatever goodness and gentleness was inside me. Amazing how you can spend years with someone and they can just walk away. I haven't heard this song in forever, and it was odd to be reminded. Here's the better parts of the lyrics.

I'm a coat that you never wear,
except on special occasions year after year.
I'm a shoebox you keep under your bed:
I've got a couple of folded notes in me,
but you can't remember what they said.

So what's the point if you'll forget it in a week?
If it's blind, why believe in love at first sight?
Just stay inside - no one will know,
and you can leave the lights on all you want.

And I hope that you know that I loved you a lot -
(Why worry if we're gonna be home soon?)
it wasn't the alcohol talking at four in the morning,
(Why worry if we're gonna be home soon?)
it was the boy that you met in the hall years ago:

So don't forget me -
Don't you let me become a photograph
that you maybe look at once every year or so
just to recall the way you let me become a ghost.

I said "Sorry" to make you happy.
I kissed cuts to dry your tears.
I sold my clothes to keep you warm,
then you threw me away even after all these years
we spent struggling to pay the rent -
now who can I sing with when
everything's gone to hell?

I'm not alright,
and don't say that I will be.
I loved you,
but you didn't love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment